are butterfly bushes winter hardy in lyon county mn? I dont know what kind it...

are butterfly bushes winter hardy in lyon county mn? I dont know what kind it is have had in a pot all summer .Should I treat it as a shrub rose or will it just die.

Lyon County Minnesota cold hardiness butterfly bush horticulture

Thank you for the question. Your growing zone is 4b and butterfly bush is only marginally hardy to zone 5 which has temperatures slightly warmer than your area. This means that if you want to try to nurse it over the winter, please follow the advice a previous Expert gave you: " To best winter them place 8-10 inches of mulch (leaves or straw) around the base to protect it. Once temperatures are consistently over freezing in the spring you can uncover it. The shrubs typically die all the way to the ground so are slow to grow in the spring. Give it time to establish".

There are no gaurantees. If we have a tough winter, it may not make it.

Thank you for contacting Extension.