Black Hills Spruce seedlings and youngsters

We will be going into our second winter with the seedlings and first with the 2 ft JUniors. My questions are !. Do i need to cover all of them like i did last year for the winter?
2. When is the best time to trim Spruce seedlings ( they are about 10 12 inches tall)and the 2 ft ones?
the small ones have branches every which way and different lengths ..the 2 ft ones i feel are shaped beautifully and just need the lower branches trimmed up

Anoka County Minnesota trees and shrubs horticulture

Although spruces need very little pruning, bottom branches may die with age and can be removed. For a formal shape, prune new growth in the spring. Shear in late spring, after new growth has expanded. To reduce the size of a branch, cut back to a lateral branch or a visible dormant bud. It wouldn't hurt to give them some protection but it all depends on the severity of the winter. The best protection is to make sure they are fully hydrated prior to freeze up.

Thanks Dennis,
I will wait to prune in the spring with all of them and will protect all of them . I appreciate it!!
Dianne