Advice on indigenous species suggestions to attract bees/butterflies/hummingbirds

HI! I just moved into a townhouse in Gaithersburg and for the first time, have a lawn that I can make changes to. I currently have marigolds as well as some sort of pink and white flowers that I can't identify. I am not crazy about any of them and am willing to pull them all to plant new, indigenous plants that are likely to support local wildlife (especially bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds). I know some plants are best planted in the fall, and some in the spring, but I don't really know where to start. The areas are partly shaded, with pretty good drainage. I don't know what other information you need. Karen Hennigan

Montgomery County Maryland landscaping native plants

Thanks so much for your question about planting pollinator friendly, native plants! I have 2 resources to direct you to. First is the Lady Bird Johnson Center for native plants, which is just amazing, and you can search for plants with light and water needs that you can fulfill. And, at least as good, and perhaps better, is a downloadable publication from the Maryland Native Plant Society that has notes in addition to those in the first link, telling you what pollinators each plant attracts.

Hope this is helpful!