planting a newSALIX TORTUOSA TREE

Hi
My twisted willlow died and I would like to plant another one near where the old one was. How close to the orignal can I plant it? Can I plant it now ( Ocotober)? thanks

Outside United States tree planting

Thanks for your question. Where are you and your tree located? Why did your twisted willow die?

Thanks!

The tree is in my garden in Norfolk UK. I do not know why it died.

Could you tell me a bit about your garden's growing conditions? Is your soil clay, silt or sand. What is its pH. How much organic material is in the soil. What are your temperature extremes. How much sun do you get. Also, can you describe any observations you made about your prior tree. What part of the tree showed distress first. Did the leaves turn colors and fall gradually or all at once. Did you notice any insects. I'm trying to determine whether there is some pathogen in your soil, or an insect infestation, or cultural issues, like a lack of water or too much. Without more information, I can't tell whether planting the same plant in the same place will produce the same fate. Thanks!

I garden organically and did not notice any pest in the tree. The soil in neutral and lots of compost added to it before planting and some around shrubs near it. It gets some sun. and a little shade from a buddleha a few yardst away. No recent extreme of weather/rain. I noticed a few dried branches at the bottom and put them breaking off to my cats who love climbing it and running after birds in it. I think I will have to plant another 5/6 feet away. When it was cut down nothing was noticed and everything growing around it is thriving. thanks for your help.

P.S It raraely lost many leaves. There are no extremes in weather.

What happened before it died if it didn't lose leaves? How hot does it get in the summer? How cold in winter?

It died in the winter when some leaves fell Sorry I cant be more specific. Winter rarely ges to freeqing usually 30-40 degrees and summers rarely gets to mid 90.

Okay. Well, all I can do is send you a link tomorrow, when I'm back home on my computer, with information on the plant and its needs, and you'll have to see if your yard 'has what it needs.' It is an easy to care for plant that is found in all the US states, so can live in a variety of climates. It has few if any susceptibilities to disease, and the insects that are attracted to it rarely harm it. Sorry I can't help more, but I don't have much to go on.

As promised, here's a link to a Royal Horticulture Society article on your tree. You'll note that they may be infected with anthracnose, scab and canker diseases, and this link explains what it is and what the leaves look like if it has such an infection. Please read the article about control issues; you will need to monitor the tree to see if these symptoms arise. Since there are no chemical controls available, prevention is key.

I hope these are helpful. Good luck!

Many thanks for your help. I am looking forward to many more years of looking at a twisted willow!

All the best
Amy