Planting milkweed seeds

When and how can I plant milkweed seeds in Corvallis? I have some pods from Massachusetts. I think seeds are available online, too. Is it OK to plant East Coast milkweed here? Advice appreciated.

Benton County Oregon

Thanks for your milkweed seed question! As you can assume from their name, milkWEEDS are pretty hardy. Here's a link to an article that gives you an overview of the plant and how important it is. In general, planting seeds of plants that are native to your area/state ensures that the plant is adaptable to the environment and---at least as importantly--will be a resource to flora and fauna in your area.

There are three species of Asclepias that are native to Oregon. Some seeds are no longer available, but other species are better than none. Here's a link to The Xerces Society's seed finder app. You also might want to check your local city and/or county agency. West Linn was offering free seeds a couple of years ago. Here's a rather commercial link to get seeds, too.

Also, once you've gotten one or more planted and completed to bloom and seeds, you can save them to plant more the next year (they're perennials.) Here's a link to a resource about saving milkweed seeds.

Thanks for helping to save the Monarchs!