Stink Bugs

Asked October 9, 2016, 8:59 AM EDT

Your article in the Oregonian about the above bug leaves me wondering. If we are told to just live with them, what are farmers to do about crops. We see many of them and they are the brown marmorated kind and who do we report this to.

Marion County Oregon

1 Response

I wasn‘t able to locate the article about brown marmorated stink bugs, also called BMSB, you mentioned. Management methods for home gardeners are based on watching for, and dispatching these invasive insects and their eggs when they are seen on crops which may be attacked, among the peas, beans, pears, and apples. Farmers use powerful pesticides not available for home use to protect their crops when needed.

The public’s main problem with BMSB is during fall. Then, they aggregate on the south or west side of house during relatively warm weather but, when temperatures drop, will migrate into the wall void. Far too often, they follow the heat gradient into indoor spaces. Sites near wooded areas tend to have the largest populations. Pesticides don’t work against these aggregations.

Fortunately, BMSB don’t breed or feed, nor do they damage structures during this period. To keep them out, seal and caulk all potential entries such as cracks in the foundation; repair or replace damaged screens; and/or apply weather stripping around doors. If they get in, flick into soapy water. If they are numerous indoors, set up this simple trap in a dark room at night: Shine a desk lamp onto a tray of slightly soapy water; empty in the morning and, then, repeat the next night.

When large quantities of BMSB are aggregating outdoors, a wet-dry shop vac is a useful tool.

Oregon State University has an information page about BMSB at To report the insects at your place, click the “In or around a home or structure” button at the top left of the page, which will take you here:

If you have additional questions, please send them as a reply to this email.