feeding a sapling

I am growing a Meyer spruce sapling in a 5 gal. bucket of potting soil, in door. I have had it approx. 6 mo. It is now 7 1/2 inches tall. It receives several cup fulls of water each week. A moisture meter indicates that the soil is maintained in the "moist" range. My question is whether or not I should be feeding it with anything that I might obtain mail order or from a local nursery. The tree is a memorial for my wife, is precious, and will someday be given to a grand daughter for outdoor planting.

Nevada County California forestry horticulture horticulture

Eventually it will need some fertilizer. I would use a slow release fertilizer made for fertilizing potted plants. I used Osmocote granular for several hundred pine seedlings that I used in my PhD research. Go ahead and use it according to the label recommendations. Or you could use a water-based fertilizer that you use every few weeks. Miracle-Gro is good.