Kiwi

Do you when I can harvest my Fuzzy Kiwi? They are large and look great, but are still hard. Donna

Linn County Oregon

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

When you say fuzzy kiwis, I think of the larger ones, with fuzz, that are sold in the stores. There is a smaller kiwi, called hardy kiwi, no fuzz.
I leave the kiwi on the vines until they start to soften or there is too much rain or it is going to freeze.
They are usually really ripe and ready to eat by this time of the year. However, most feel you should take them off the vine and ripen in the house. Cut one open and look at the seeds, if they are black, then they are ready to ripen. You might have better luck with the ripening of the fuzzy kiwi in the house at room temperature. Put them with apples or bananas which give off a gas that hastens the ripening process.
Fuzzy kiwis last longer once picked in refrigerators. Keep them very cold in plastic bags with air vents (cut some holes). Take them out to ripen.
I have listed a link to Bernadine Strik, an OSU expert on berries for more info. Thank you for contacting us. If you have any further questions, please send them in. http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/node/372