cold snaps+

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
brandon armstrong
1934 gary st.
klamath falls, OR 97603
1-541-292-1861
brandonLA@mail.com

i live in klamath falls, oregon. high desert country. for years i drove a route for the local news-paper. i had a rural route which included areas like bly mt. the sunday paper was a morning paper, so i had to go pick up and deliver in the middle of the night. it always seemed to be that one hour before dawn there would be a cold snap. this was regardless of the weather or season, although obviously it felt worse in winter.
-
was this just my imagination, or was the temperture dropping as what little heat escaped, then was rapidly re-heated by the dawn? mind you that this was sudden; it wasn't just getting steadily colder until sunrise. i wouldn't be surprised if the thin air caused a layer inversion or some-such. thank you, BA

Klamath County Oregon weather

Hi, thanks for using Ask an Expert.
I'm attaching a link to a blog that describes similar phenomena in the Great Basin:
http://watchingtheworldwakeup.blogspot.com/2009/01/all-about-inversions.html.

We are supposed to use scientific info, here is a link for that:
https://courseware.e-education.psu.edu/courses/meteo101/Section4p05.html

it will take a bit more thinking for the second one. Here in KF we are in a giant basin- makes the inversion more pronounced when it happens, becuase there is no "away" for the colder air to go.
I hope you find this information helpful. Have a great day, Nicole

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks for answering my question. the link to the less technical page is not working. could you send me the text by email? BA

hmm... maybe it's the period after. I googled "watching the world wake up great basin inversion" and it came right up, same site but without the period. Hope that works, Nicole