when can I prune lavender?

Hi, I am wondering when is the best time for me to prune my lavenders. I have 10 lavender bushes for 3 years now, and I think they need some pruning. I've read some info on line and it seemed that Spring and Summer are the best, but I'd like to know which months are the best. I live in College Park. Thanks!

Prince George's County Maryland

You can remove any dead wood but Avoid heavy pruning after late August so plants are able to harden before winter. Do not prune plants for the winter.

Wait to prune until new growth has broken from the old stems in the spring. Plants can be shaped at this time. Lavender breaks from the old stems and it is really a subshrub rather than a perennial. Do not cut completely down in the autumn or early spring. With age plants can get straggly. Shear plants back heavily every 2-3 years in the spring to maintain a compact plant. Do not cut low into old nonviable wood.