We are currently renting our alfalfa fields. The farmer renting the fields...

We are currently renting our alfalfa fields. The farmer renting the fields wants to hay one more time this season. I have told him that the cut off date for haying was Sept 15. He keeps talking about growing hours, but I cannot find any details on this or if this is a good idea on how to base the end date of haying. He last hayed on Sept 12th.

Allen County Ohio

Your question came to me. We are now in October, so I would not harvest. We give a date to easily suggest when to stop. There is some truth to what the grower is saying, but I am not aware of research looking at the last harvest as growing hours. Based upon the current forecast through the end of October, so maybe there will be enough time to recover for the winter, but it is a risk as the forecast may not be accurate. If you have more questions, give me a call. Jeff