Bare spots

The area from which I collected this soil has many bare spots. Could this condition be totally attributed to the soil conditions? I am wondering because the area is also shaded by many trees. If it is not because of the soil, I may need to have the trees thinned out to provide more sunlight.

Oakland County Michigan

IF there is dense shade, many plants and most grasses will not grow. You may need to thin the trees. You can also look into getting a soil test done to see what your nutrient values and pH are, in case they are too low or too high. Soil test information can be found at http://www.spnl.msu.edu/

I'm sorry. I thought this question was submitted within the context of my soil test that was recently completed by MSU. My soil's Phosporous was 30 ppm, Potassium was 93 ppm, Magnesium was 270 ppm, Calcium was 2585 ppm, CEC was 15.413 meq/100g, soil type was Mineral, Loam, soil pH was 6.6, lime index was 71 and organic matter was 6.7%. I am curious if the low Potassium or any of the other values could be the cause of the bare spots... exclusive of the shady areas.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The soil test results do not indicate any cause for the bare spots. The soil test should have made a recommendation for fertilizer to correct the low potassium. If you are planting a lawn, be sure to get a turf grass that can tolerate the shade, usually one of the fine fescues, such as creeping red or chewings. Also if you are growing turf, do you know if there is a compaction problem where it might help to do a core aeration on the soil?