dying pachysandra

Last year I lost patches of pachysandra while we were on vacation. This year it is happening again but I can see the leaves have white stick-like things on both sides or leaves. They can be scraped off. I have an ornamental Japanese maple in the same garden that is beginning to show the same signs. The tree is my main

Howard County Maryland pachysandra euonymus scale groundcover

Based on your photos this looks like euonymus scale, a sucking insect on the pachysandra. If the infestation is heavy, prune infested areas, and manage the bed culturally.
Crawlers are usually out May thru June and August through September. Look for crawlers using double sided sticky tape. If you see them, you can spray with a summer rate of horticultural oil.
See our website http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/euonymus-scale-shrubs

You may be dealing with another type of scale insect on the maple. Send photos so we can see what you may be dealing with.

Thank you. I also consulted with the resident "expert" @ the local Southern States. We were stumped, but we decided on Ferti-Lome, a multi- purpose horticultural oil. Insecticide/fungicide/miticide
Maybe I was too hasty.

Based on your photo of the Japanese maple leaf this does not look like an insect problem. The browning/discoloration looks like it may be an environmental issue or a possible leaf spot we cannot say for sure. At the end of the season the foliage can look ratty and no control is necessary. Do not spray until the pest or disease is identified and you know what you are spraying for. You may not need to spray.
The tree should have enough reserves in the root system to put out new growth next spring. Keep the tree well watered during dry periods. Make sure mulch is no thicker than several inches and keep away from the base of the trunk.