I live close to state route 11 and route 82 in Howland Twp. Over the summer...

I live close to state route 11 and route 82 in Howland Twp. Over the summer as I have driven SR 11 I have noticed many, many pine trees turning brown and dropping needles with the trees becoming bare and appearing dead. I am beginning to notice it in my own neighborhood. I wonder what disease these conifers are suffering from and if there is a treatment plan for these trees along the highway which is State of Ohio maintained. Thank you very much. Karen Vaughn

Trumbull County Ohio pine trees horticulture

Without more information I can only guess as to what the problem is with these trees. While most problems are attributed to insect pests and/or disease, the underlying cause is probably lack of water. It has been a very hot and dry summer, and most mature trees require hundreds of gallons of water. When the water runs out, the tree is stressed, and insects start attacking the weakened trees. Unfortunately, there is not a lot that can be done about it, except pray for rain. As far as I know, there is no treatment plan for these trees, as they probably belong to the property owners along the highway, not the state of Ohio.