Invasive, fibrous root

This horrible root is invading a recently established planting bed. It grows down to about a foot. Soil and mulch that was used to establish the bed was used in other areas of my yard without a problem, but there is one stretch that is situated closely to a maple, oak and another kind of tree. Nothing grows up from it above the surface that I can tell. It's really taken off directly under the mulch I laid this year and seems to have jumped from one area to another. Is it possible that a tree root could behave this way? I live in a wooded, lakeside area. Is it possible that this could be a root from a tree that was removed a long time ago? The same root was established in a garden area at the foot of my driveway (quite removed from above referenced site) when we moved here five years ago, and I continue to pull it out -- doesn't seem connected to anything obvious.

Worcester County Massachusetts plant identification trees root

These are roots from your living trees growing nearby. Tree roots can extend up to one and a half times the width of the tree's leaf canopy edges or dripline.
It's not invasive, it just took advantage of a great, loose soil spot to grow.

Thanks very much for your response. I guess I'm going to have to rethink how I approach this area of my garden. Came across some good articles on-line about planting under trees. I really appreciate the service you provide!