what ate my boiled potato and left the peel?

I left a small boiled potato on my kitchen counter over night. Next morning, the potato was partially eaten, but the peelings were scattered all around the potato. I have checked for mice droppings, but did not find any .... checked for two mornings now. So what could have eaten the potato? Looked up mice and found they do like boiled potato but that the skin is not good for them ... do I have a very knowledgeable mouse who also does not leave droppings???? Help! have asked the Garden Club ladies at the library today, they are looking forward to an answer as well.

St. Mary's County Maryland wildlife mice

Absent a pet, we'd think of mice too.
They could visit that area without necessarily dropping feces right there, and animals generally know if a plant or part is not good for them and avoid it.
Regular old snap traps baited with peanut butter are what we suggest for indoor mouse control.

Thank you. I do not have a pet.
Checked every morning since for mouse droppings .... none.
Even thinking about leaving another potato out over night????

Look for droppings close to the countertop corners and edges close to the wall. They'll stay on the edges while traveling.
The trap will tell you if they're around.