High altitude low-carb bread machine baking

Hello - I am in need of some information on baking low-carb bread in a bread machine.

I live in an area with an altitude of 3500-3600 feet - not too high, but I think it is causing me difficulties.

I have your book "High Altitude Baking" and have reviewed it for tips:

using less yeast

using more salt

adding 1 or 2 T. of water at a time

reducing water 1 T. at a time

trying different baking cycles

Your book doesn't address low-carb baking and I am using recipes from Dana Carpender's "500 Low-Carb Recipes." I have followed her guidelines but my loaves aren't rising enough and are quite dense.

Before I start trying the 5 suggestions above, I wanted to check with you for any additional information you might have found for we "low-carbers."

Thanks so much for your time!

Mimi

Mohave County Arizona high altitude food preparation

Hi Mimi,

Can you tell me alittle bit more about your flour that your using or the ingredients??

thanks

jordan mccoy

Hi Jordan, Hope the following information helps! Ingredients for whole wheat bread: water, heavy cream, butter, egg, salt, vital wheat gluten flour, raw wheat germ, wheat bran, psyllium husks, oat flour, vanilla-flavored whey protein powder, yeast Ingredients for Cinnamon Raisin Bread: water, oat bran, ground almonds flour, vanilla-flavored whey protein powder, cinnamon, vital wheat gluten flour, splenda, oil, salt, yeast, raisins White Bread ingredients: water, oat bran, psyllium husks, vital wheat gluten flour, vanilla-flavored whey protein powder, rice protein powder, salt, oil, splenda, yeast The recipes recommend using a 1 lb. bread machine and the whole wheat cycle. The type of yeast used is regular, old plain yeast. While waiting to hear from you, I tried another recipe I found on-line using the "basic" cycle and removing the mixing paddle after the first rise. It seemed to help some. Here are the ingredients for that recipe: yeast, sugar, water, olive oil, baking powder, salt, splenda, vital wheat gluten flour, oat flour, soy flour, flax seed meal, wheat bran Anxiously awaiting your words of wisdom, Mimi

Hello, Mimi.

I believe that you have appropriately made the recommended changes for the high elevation baking. With the details of the ingredients, it appears that you have a lot of whole grains. I also suggest soaking the vital wheat gluten flour, raw wheat germ, wheat bran, psyllium husks, oat flour before even beginning the recipe. Now with your the additional recipe, you have the vital wheat gluten flour, oat flour, flaxseed, and wheat bran that all could be soaked in plain water for about 30 minutes. This would be in addition to the liquid already used in the recipe. Usually, just combining those ingredients and add enough water that all of the mixture is touching the liquid, but not so 'soupy' or 'saucy' so that the ingredients cannot absorb it. What this does is begin softening those ingredients so that the structure can begun earlier in the 'mixing and kneading' cycle.

If you have any other descriptions regarding your original loaves, they also could assist us in solving this problem.

Rhoda S