growing wintergreen

I live in east central Ohio. I wish to grow wintergreen (I have plants I brought back from northern Michigan). I know they will grow in this climate. How do I prepare the soil (pH, etc.)? I lived in Iowa and was a canoe guide in northern Minnesota when young. Familiar with the plant there. Should I simply grow them as a container plant here? Any help appreciated. Larry Schlatter Lks11645@aol.com. Box 567 Gambier, OH 43022 515-745-0865

Knox County Ohio herbs

Hi Larry,

Gardening in the winter in Ohio can be very rewarding.
Winter greens can be grown indoors or outdoors. When growing them outdoors gardeners typically use mini hoop houses or cold frames to help the winter greens survive. Keep in mind when growing outdoors in the winter you will still have a small amount of pest and disease problems too.
Soil preparation would be dependent on the varieties of vegetables you will growing and then what your soil needs are verses what the vegetable needs.