Crimson King red leaf maple

My tree is currently dropping many leaves. Curled up brown with long stems attached. It has never dropped leaves this early. Usually it is late October, November time frame. It appears a section on the south side is drying up with a few dead branches. It is, has been very healthy 22 year old tree. I removed the mulch around base this year and planted grass. Only thing I can think of I maybe did. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you! Bill Albert

Hennepin County Minnesota diagnosis of plant problems maple trees leaf drop horticulture

You should put the mulch back. Your grass will not grow well under a red maple anyway as the shade is too dense. Without actual photos of the tree/trunk/base, etc. it really isn't possible to make a diagnosis. As 22 year old red maple must be a magnificent tree and well worth caring for. I would suggest that you have a certified arborist make an on-site visit for a diagnosis. There are so many things that cause leaf drop...encircling roots, sunscald damage to trunk, insect infestation, anthracnose, drought, injury to roots, etc.