Ahpids near hop harvest

Hi, I am a few days away from harvesting my hops in Bend. However, I just noticed they have aphids. Can I do anything to salvage the crop this late in the growing season? Do they leave behind things that ruin the hops? Please let me know if there is any best next move. I have read I can use soap sprays and insecticides, but not sure if I do that, if I can still brew with the hops. I hosed them down earlier today and the aphids do not seem as many now, but before I process them, I want to know if I am wasting my time and that my beer will be affected by them. thank you so much, -Chuck

Deschutes County Oregon

Hosing the plants down with a strong stream of water is one way to get rid of the aphids and of course is the least toxic. Using an insecticidal soap is another way to help eliminate some of the aphids too but at this late date may not do much more than the water showers. If you think you might use an insecticidal soap be sure to read the PHI (pre harvest interval) to make sure there is enough time between treatment and harvest. With this product the PHI is usually short but check it before you buy any product. Several sessions with a strong stream of water should reduce the aphid problem significantly.

I have not found any literature that states what aphids do to the brewing process so perhaps it is not significant.