soil testing

Asked September 13, 2016, 5:20 PM EDT

We are new to Oregon. We have approx 20 3-4 year old fruit trees (apple, plum, pear) near Philomath. We would like to plant some more. What kind of test should we ask for to get a general idea of any soil amendment needs (for both the existing trees and any new ones). It is a bit bewildering to see the different kinds of tests. I would like a local tester (like Earthfort), but it seems Earthfort specializes in soil organisms, yet we are more interested in chemistry? thanks scott

Benton County Oregon fruits and vegetables horticulture soil and fertility issues

1 Response

For new or old orchards, it is best to test for:
pH, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, K - Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium

Most soil test labs NEED to have recommendations.

The Benton County Extension office has a list of good soil testing places.

The garden store soil testes give a general nutrient recs but often 1-2 point off.

Ag Source out of Umatilla is good local testing lab.

Getting Crop Protection Services - Tangent; Wilco - Harrisburg will send their field men out to take soil tests.

Be sure to ask for soil recommendations after the soil test is done.