night blooming jasmine

Can I be successful with night blooming jasmine (estrum nocturnum) grown indoors at 6200 feet? It will get about 3 hours direct sunlight a day. I know they can be finicky, but I have pretty good luck with other plants. This one has been raised outside all summer at a green house, and is on sale for 50% off. I LOVE the smell of the blossoms, and the grower said I could expect blooms in February.

Pitkin County Colorado flowers: annuals and herbaceous perennials dear blooming jasmine lover

Dear Jasmine Lover-
Elevation for indoor plants is not a concern. However, with only 3 hours of natural sunlight per day, this plant probably will not bloom. You could try supplementing with artificial lighting. Often when this plant is brought in from outside summer-living it will bloom. You can continue to replicate this -- set outside to get hot over the summer and bring back in in the fall, supplement the sunlight and it should bloom! Good luck with this good deal! Keep us posted --
Clear Creek County Extension
christine.crouse@colostate.edu

Hi Christine,

The room it will be in is quite bright, but I can't imagine it getting more than three hours direct sun/day unless I moved the plant around all day long. I've never supplemented plants with artificial light, so now I have more questions.

• is there a preferred type or wattage of bulb or housing
  • how many hours per day
  • what distance from the plant
Thank you for your advice in advance!
Nancy

Nancy-
Per information from U of Nebraska Extension, CSU horticultural experts, and HOUSE PLANT TIPS/CSUE booklet:

Naturally, Blooming Jasmine usually blooms one time/year -- in the fall. You might get intermittent blossoms with supplemental light.

Indoors, Jasminum spp. requires medium interior light conditions (within 2 feet of N glass April through Sept, 2-6 feet back from or 1 foot to the south side of an east or west glass all year); prefers E or S exposure; 30-65% humidity; and cool temperatures (50-60 F day, 40-50 F night). Soil should be kept evenly moist,

Artificial Lighting: White light yields the best light quality for plant growth, but plants respond to red, far red, and blue light spectra as well. Most flowering plants are "photoperiodic," meaning they respond to the duration of lighting. Fluorescent lamps provide uniform light that is blue saturated and, when combined with other lighting that provides red saturated light, the combination provides a good light balance for light growth. Plants grown under artificial lighting typically require 10-14 hours of light daily.

In fall, your plant needs to receive a period of cool temperatures in order to stimulate flower bud development. If you normally put it outside during summer, then leave it outside in fall as temperatures start to cool. A period of about 4-6 weeks with night time temperatures from 50-40 degrees are needed. But never let your plant get below 35 degrees. During this time the plant should not get any artificial light, so if it's still outside make sure there are no yard lights near it.

Bring the plant indoors before frost, but keep it in a cool location in your house until it begins to bloom.

Next summer, prune as needed to control the plant's size. Jasmine usually grows pretty vigorously, so don't be afraid to prune old vines down to the soil and let new vines develop. Stop pruning August 1st to allow the plant to develop flower buds.