Replacement of grass with ground cover

I HAVE A SOUTH FACING YARD WHICH RECEIVES LOST OF SUN. I WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE MY GRASS WITH SOME TYPE OF GROUND COVER. MY GOAL IS TO REDUCE WATERING. MOWING AND FERTILIZATION AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND? HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS PLAN? I HAVE SEVERAL TYPES OF GRASS GROWING IN MY YARD. I JUST DO NOT KNOW WAHT TO DO ABOUT THE RENOVATION OF MY YARD. PLEASE ADVISE.

Montgomery County Maryland groundcovers lawn alternatives

Begin by looking at our website on lawn alternatives for options. May be easiest to cover the planting area with several layers of newspaper (about 10-12) or cardboard. Top with about 3-4 inches of an organic mulch. This can be done now. The grass, newspaper, cardboard will die and breakdown into organic matter.
In the spring you are ready to plant. Look for low matintenance options such as low growing ornamental grasses or a mix of sun perennials/groundcovers.
http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/alternatives-lawn