Wisteria in Misouri

Wisteria took over a side of my house. We pulled it from the house to get new siding. It is now lying on the ground while the work is being completed. The siding company told us not to allow this to take over the house again, so we want to trim it and guide it to arbors. Some of the plants have six to eight inch trunks now. What do I do, and how do I do it. Thanking you in advance for your help and advice Bob Uttmark

St. Charles County Missouri flowering shrubs horticulture flowers: annuals and herbaceous perennials

It is not possible to adequately advise you via this method, but here are a few rules to remember:

Severe pruning in the fall might result in the growth of new, tender shoots that will only be killed by winter temperatures. February would be a more appropriate month for this. I realize the siding company might have left your Wisteria looking like a many-tentacled octopus that just lost a fight. If you need to trim some things back to keep the area from being a total mess, only take as much as you have to.

Wisteria can handle being pruned all the way back to the ground. It may take a number of years to resume blooming, however. Only remove as much of the thick, woody stems as you need to to re-train its growth, and take care of most of this pruning in February. This may bring it to bloom quicker.