Sap bubbles on flowering plum

Could you tell me what is causing these sap bubbles on our flowering plum tree? There are at least 10 of them, on the limbs and also in the crotch of the tree. Is there anything we can do for this poor tree? Could it be an insect infestation of some sort? It's so pretty in the spring. Thanks for your help.

Montgomery County Pennsylvania gummosis

Gummosis can be caused by a variety of things from environmental to pests and pathogens. Here is a link to a fact sheet describing possible causes. I recommend you take a sample of a wounded branch to your local Penn State Extension and have them send it to the plant clinic for diagnosis and a treatment plan. The other option is to call a licensed arborist. You can find one in your area on the website of the International Society of Arboriculture.

Thanks so much for your quick response to my question about gummosis on our flowering plum tree. The links you provided were very helpful.