ground cover for new development

I recently completed a new lake on my property and looking for recommendations for a cover crop that is hardy, will prevent erosion and will not have to be mowed (too steep). Any suggestions?

Anderson County Kentucky

I think I talked to you on the phone as well. Please feel free to call me if you would like. My office number is 502-839-7271. Your best option is going to be Ky. 31 Tall Fescue. You need something that will establish quickly and hold the soil. I am going to recommend you seed a little higher than normal since it is a pond bank. Our normal rate is 15-25 lb. per acre. I would recommend you seed at the 25 lb. per acre rate. Add about 4-5 lb. of Annual ryegrass to this and mix into the blend. The annual ryegrass will germinate quickly and help prevent erosion but it will die out after one year. Apply lime if possible to raise the soil pH, I would put on at least 1000 lb. per acre if possible. Many soil tests require 3 tons of ag lime per acre. I would also apply 25 lb. of 10-10-10 fertilizer or about 15lb. of 19-19-19 per 1000 Square ft to aid in quick germination. Lastly since it is a pond dam and we need to prevent erosion I would apply 1 bale of straw per 1000 square feet. This will hold in moisture to aid in germination and will also help to prevent soil erosion while the grass is establishing. Please call if you have additional questions.

Tommy

Thanks Tommy. Yes, I did talk to you on the phone after I posted this question on the Internet. i will probably go with your recommendation of the Orchard Grass mix. Thanks for your help.,

Please feel free to contact me with additional questions.

Tommy R Yankey