I am a building contractor working with a customer restoring what would be an...

I am a building contractor working with a customer restoring what would be an Ohio Century Farm barn. Several years ago he had an Amish contractor restore and reside the barn. He used poplar boards for siding. After less than ten years some of the siding is rotting away. He would like to maintain the integrity / heritage of the barn as it was built. What would be the best option be a favorable option for me to re-side the areas where the boards are decaying? The siding is vertical random width 3/4" boards with 3/8" air gaps between.

Crawford County Ohio century farm barn restoration

Usually Poplar makes good siding boards but only Tulip Poplar. Some other good options from local saw mills would be Black Locus and White Oak. Is he going with a natural look or will the barn be painted. There are some helpful sealers that maintain a natural look to the wood that can help minimize decay. If pressure treated siding is an option it can save a lot of decay concerns