Spider Identification

Hi There, I was directed to you by the OSU Entomology department as I need help identifying a spider and his/her family that live in my house. We have seen this spider four times now, and normally I am not afraid of spiders but these ones are huge and I'm worried about the potential danger to the small animals in my house. I've uploaded three of the four spiders here. Please help me identify these guys. Thank you! Cindy Richards

Clackamas County Oregon spiders

Cindy,

Spiders are notoriously difficult to id from photos alone since their color patterns are not very consistent within species. However, given the size and general body shape I'm pretty confident that this is the giant house spider (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_house_spider). This spider is very common around homes in the PNW. While any large spider can bite this one is not particularly aggressive nor is the bite dangerous for large animals including us. I usually just either "capture & flush" or "capture & dump outside" (usually the former!) when I find this spider indoors.

Thank you so, so much Jack! We all feel much better about these guys after receiving your reply.