Cooking in electric pressure cookers in high altitude

I received a Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker for Christmas and have developed the habit of cooking with it at least twice a week. We will be traveling to the Estes Park, Co area in early October. I would like to be able to bring my PC with me to Colorado.

I know that when cooking in higher altitudes, that you have to adjust your recipes. I would like to know if this is true even when cooking with an electric pressure cooker. In my mind, I think that cooker is going to produce the same amount of pressure regardless if I am in Kansas or Colorado. I think the only issue could be how fast the cooker would come up to pressure.

I have checked all of my pressure cooker cookbooks and the Cuisinart website and can not find any information about pressure cooking in high altitude. I have taken a couple of classes here locally with a professional chef and she did not know the answer either.

Thank you for your help!

Shawnee County Kansas high altitude food preparation pressure canning

In 2013, Utah State University Extension conducted a study to see how well electronic pressure cookers worked at high altitudes. We found that at altitudes above 5000 feet, the four models we tested did not always reach the temperatures we expected. For some foods, we found that they needed to be cooked for a longer amount of time than recommended in the user guide. This was especially true for chicken.

Electronic pressure cookers can be safely used at any altitude, but you may need to adjust your cooking time to obtain the results you are used to. While vegetables can be tasted to determine if they are done cooking, you should always use a thermometer to check the internal temperature of meats and poultry. You can find the fact sheet and recommendations for cooking several types of food here: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/extension_curall/362/.