I live in Avon, Ohio. The house is a single family slab 12 year old home. A...

Asked September 6, 2016, 4:43 PM EDT

I live in Avon, Ohio. The house is a single family slab 12 year old home. A rear corner of the house is sinking. There is a 1 1/2 inch horizontal opening between the first and second course of concrete blocks. My contractor suggested we do a soil test to determine how to proceed. The contractor means to have a bore dug deep down into the soil to see the layers or to bedrock. The businesses I have called are not interested in such a small job. What is your suggestion?

Lorain County Ohio soil testing soil test recommendations

1 Response


Thanks for submitting this question to eXtension!

It sounds like you are interested in a soil analysis specific to engineering properties. I typically deal with soil samples that are interested in fertility or other chemical properties of the soil, rather than the physical, structural properties.

The best recommendation I can give is to check with your contractor to see who he recommends. In my experience, if a contractor works directly with the company doing the sampling, that can work out better than if you try to arrange everything.

Are you working with the original contractor, or someone else? If it is the original contractor, you may be able to use the the apparent issues as leverage to get the process started. If not, you may want to look into another contractor. I'm not able to provide specific recommendations, but I know that there are a variety of companies that specialize in foundations and basements. They likely would be able to get the process started for you.

Feel free to give me a call at 440-326-5851 if you would like to discuss this further.