best evergreen for wind break

Hi and thanks for your help. I live on a hill top and the wind can be intense. I'm thinking that some evergreens will help mitigate and I'd like to know the best kind. Ideally it would be one that's faster growing. How close to I plant them to my home and to each other? I appreciate your expertise.

Jackson County Oregon

Thanks for your question about windbreaks! OSU has a very through publication on just that topic, linked here for Western Oregon. The spacing issue is covered in this Washington State University publication. (You'll note that the second article references your USDA zone, so you don't plant plants in areas that they cannot survive cold winters. If you don't know your zone, you can type in your zip code at the top of this map and it will tell you the zone.) the WSU publication tells you how wide the plants get at maturity, and you'll want to leave enough room so they touch, but don't crowd each other once they're fully grown.

Hope these help! Good luck!