Banana tree leaves

Good morning,. We bought a banana tree from lyndale farmers market few weeks ago. We had about four new leaves since. All four of them exhibited the same behavior after three days as in the picture. Can you please help? Thanks and appreciate your service. Joseph

Hennepin County Minnesota tropical plants banana tree

Good morning Joseph,

It looks like the plant is having trouble adjusting to different environmental conditions. My guess would be sun scald. Was the plant growing in at least partial shade at the nursery? If so, it may be that it hasn't had time to adjust to the more intense light. The white painted surface next to it may also be exacerbating the issue, as it will result in even more light being reflected back at the plant.

Regardless, the plant should recover. Bananas typically produce a new leaf about once every five to seven days (I believe it's a little less frequent for the Abyssinian banana (Ensete spp.), and the plant should outgrow the damage.

I hope this helps!