tree boring

I have a fairly large established Maple tree with a deck built around it. PP&L had come and done some trimming of it about 2yrs ago to make sure their wires are safew, and since then I feel I am seeing more dead branches in the tree. I'm at a point of deciding what to do with my deck because it needs to be redone, but I would like to know if the tree is healthy, or if it is on it's way out. Do tree borers exist that I could pay someone to do that to determine the health of the tree? And/or will that harm the tree even further, if it's not healthy. I was planning on having someone come and trim the tree and cut some of the dead branches off. As you probably know that isn't a cheap task, so I'd like to know the tree is going to last anyway. Can you offer me some suggestions, or let me know who or what type of individual I could contact to look at the tree to see where it stands before I spend money on a deck and trimming the tree.

Dauphin County Pennsylvania

You can call a licensed arborist to advise you. Here is a link to the website of the International Society of Arboriculture where they have a zip code search for an arborist near you.