Sheep

I am confused about the Scrapie tags for sheep. Do I need scrapie tags on my lambs which are being raised for meat? Their mothers came from a farm in PA and don't have scrapie tags. Is it as simple as calling and requesting tags for the number of lambs I have? I just don't understand how the program works. Is it just a matter of getting ID on a lamb so that it can be traced to it's point of origination so that if signs are found at the butcher-that farm can then be notified? Thank you for your time.

Frederick County Maryland sheep livestock sheep and goats agnr

Scrapie tags are required on all reproductively intact animals marketed. So wethers do not need scrapie tags. Most lambs sold direct to slaughter do not need scrapie tags. You can get free tags from your State Veterinarian. If you do not have very many lambs and sell to sale barn, they may put in scrapie tag.