Red scum or algae bloom harmful to my horses

I have red scum or algae covering my pond in my horse pasture. What do you think it is? My horse goes in there and walks around in the water and I know drinks the water. All of the horses drink the water. I have since closed off the area because I'm scared of what it is. Can you please help me and give me an idea of what it is and what I can do??? . I'm concerned about the safety of my horses. Thank you very much. I live in a small town in southern Indiana and this summer has been very very hot and very very wet also. Thanks again.

Posey County Indiana water quality pond management

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/

The website linked above is a fantastic resource for pond management. It addresses types of aquatic plants in terms of identification and control methods. The "red" algae bloom is seen in Texas ponds as well. Simple to control. Please read and follow label directions for all pesticides.