How can I eradicate (or at least severely restricted) ivy responsibly?

Ivy is all over my lot, on trees and among other bushes. It is killing some trees and crowding out other plants. I have been manually clearing the ivy, but it keeps coming back. Short of all-out chemical or thermonuclear attack, is there a way to control the stuff effectively? I am reluctant to use glyphosate or other similar. Is DMSO paired with something an option? Thanks

Lincoln County Oregon ivy english ivy removal english ivy

Thanks for your ivy question. I'm assuming you mean the invasive, aggressive English Ivy (Hedera Helix). You are asking a question that is perplexing even the most ecologically responsible of the scientists, but there's a great article--if you're willing to wade through it--that has great information about pulling (page 6), bagging or not (page 7), and chemical approaches (page 8 -10.)

Good luck. (And hold off on the thermonuclear approach. We don't need Chernobyl in Lincoln County.)