Hydrangea blossoms eaten by pest

Last year and now this year my 10 year old hydrangea blooms beautifully and then one blossom at a time, something eats the flower petals. The leaves are left untouched. When I shake the plant very small flying bugs come out of it (don't know if that's related to problem or not). There are no webs on plant and no eggs or any other marks on the leaves . I don't know how to treat this problem and am looking for advice. Thank you. Nancy Morrison

Hennepin County Minnesota ipm hydrangea

Without seeing the insect it is very difficult to say what it is. It could be Japanese Beetles but I would think they might eat the leaves too. It also could be Rose Chafers but unless you see them eating it's impossible to know. How quickly does it happen? Overnight or over the course of a week or so? It seems unlikely that the small insects would be the ones to eat the blooms.