Downy or Hairy woodpeckers hammering on cedar siding

It's end of August in Minnesota and a pair of either Downy or Hairy woodpeckers have started hammering on the cedar siding of our home and garage. What are the most effective ways to take care of this? And, did they just start now because winter is coming on? Thanks so much for your help.

Ramsey County Minnesota woodpeckers ipm woodpecker damage woodpeckers and siding

Looks like a Downy. Woodpeckers will start pecking at wood because they can hear insects. Believe it or not, their hearing is astounding. Your problem is not unique. In fact, it is so common that we have an entire publication dealing with it and suggested methods. Please visit our web site: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/wildlife/woodpeckers-and-siding/

Thanks for your response. I found the publication's information general and didn't find an answer there to my question about timing -- is the timing of this significant. Any chance you would elaborate? Thank you!

Timing for any of the suggestions is now. The sooner you try them, the less time your woodpecker has to establish a routine.

Respectfully, I was asking about my original question, and thought I'd expressed that in my response: what does woodpeckers beginning this behavior at end of summer indicate?

There is no specific answer to that. They start this behavior when it seems right to them. It is not related to any seasonal changes. They may have just moved in to the neighborhood or maybe have just heard insects, etc.