Perennials and Grasses

We need to replace our entire boulevard display of perennials and grasses with new plants following a road construction project. What is the latest time in fall to plant new perennials and grasses, or is it best to wait until spring. Will I even be able to find a good selection of new plants in fall?

McLeod County Minnesota wildflowers and native plants perennial grasses fall planting boulevard planting

Fall is as good a time to transplant as the spring as long as the plants have time to establish before the first killing frost. I would try to do any transplanting before mid Sept. Selection is more limited in the fall and another thing to keep in mind is the plants on sale may have been in the sun and water stressed at the garden center. This summer had many hot days. There are some good bargains and tougher plants should be fine. I have had reasonable success buying and putting in plants in the fall.