QUACK GRASS...

Hi! I have quack grass that has over taken about 30% of my front lawn. I have done the Round Up thing and now have all the brown spots as a result of the dead grass. I also know that now I can re-seed those areas. My question is: Can I just throw the seed down on top of the dead grass (using it as a type of mulch), or should I rake the areas clean, lay down some black dirt, and then re-seed? Thank you for your help! -- Gary

Hennepin County Minnesota reseeding lawn horticulture

It would be best to rake up the area to remove the dead grass. You can then add a little soil, press your grass seed firmly into the areas and water. This is a very good time to seed. Please read through the information in this link about caring for your newly seeded areas: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/lawns/seeding-and-sodding-home-lawns/

Thank you Barbara!! All very good advice. I have my project for the late summer now! :) -- Gary