Any Idea What This Plant Could Be?

Good morning. I had a camper come into the park yesterday to find out the identity of this mystery plant that is growing in his back yard. I have no idea what it could be and my searching has found nothing. The information that I know about the plant it:

1. It grows in southeast Michigan

2. It is growing in all shade

3. No berries or flowers

4. About 8ft tall

5. Has ridges on the stem of the plant

6. Bush/shrub like

Any idea what it could be? I am completely lost. Thank you.

St. Clair County Michigan trees and shrubs plant identification

This is Euonymus alatus also known as winged euonymus and burning bush. It is a popular landscape shrub due to it's outstanding fall color. It was introduced into the United States in the 1860's from Asia. Unfortunately, this species has become invasive in many eastern and Midwestern states where it is outcompeting native vegetation in pastures, prairies, and woodlands. Planting of E. alatus near woodlands, prairies, and pastures should be avoided. Additional information may be found at the following website: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/burning-bush/