Cherry tree issue

I have a non/fruit bearing mature cherry tree that is beginning to show signs of illness. Some of the branches have lost leaves, particularly on their ends. I haven't noticed any sort of "oozing". I suspect I need to treat with a fungicide but I'm not sure which kind to buy. Thank you for your help.

Fayette County Kentucky cherry trees

If there's no oozing, then it's unlikely that you have a disease issue. However, there can be a number of problems that can cause dieback. We've developed a series of publications with hints, suggestions, and possibilities.

Start with Considerations for Diagnosis of Ornamentals in the Landscape PPFS-GEN-15.

For more information on woody plant decline, see Stress and Decline of Woody Plants ID-50 and Transplant Shock: Disease or Cultural Problem? PPFS-OR-W-19.

More on abiotic tree problems can be found in Tree Wounds: Invitations to Wood Decay Fungi PPFS-OR-W-1, Wet Feet PPFS-OR-W-4, and Leaf Scorch and Winter Drying of Woody Plants PPFS-OR-W-17. Don’t forget my all-time favorite Diagnosis of “No Disease” PPFS-GEN-11.