Flies destroying our raspberries

Our raspberry bushes have been decimated this year by swarms of iridescent flies. Their bodies have very shiny backs/wings that are almost chrome like in color. (They are mainly green and gold) They have been eating the leaves and the flowers and I can literally count on both hands the number of berries we've harvested so far this year. Where in the past we'd have plenty and I'd have to give some to the neighbors. Without a picture to send does this sound like a common problem? Our bushes have never been inundated like this before. It might be too late in the year for some kind of insecticide or is their a natural deterent (sp) I could try. Thank you for your time, Micheal Schrempp Fridley MN

Hennepin County Minnesota raspberry pest horticulture

I am guess Japanese Beetles found your raspberries. There have been particularly numerous this year. Treating for grubs now may be of help for next year. http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/fruit/integrated-pest-management-for-home-raspberry-...