Breastfeeding Past Age 1

I couldn't find a "contact us" that wasn't for question answering, so I apologize for not asking a question. I just received the 13-14 month Just in Time Parenting Newsletter. I have found this is a great resource for myself and the families I work with in Early Intervention. I was not happy to see the section about weaning from the bottle or breast included in this month's newsletter. While I agree with beginning to wean from a bottle to a cup, I cannot agree with telling parents it is time to begin thinking about weaning from the breast. The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding until AT LEAST 2 years of age because toddlers continue to receive benefits from their mothers' breast milk far beyond age 1. Many studies actually say that the natural age of weaning could be anywhere between 4 and 6 years of age. While I feel it is acceptable to discuss something that parents may thinking about doing, please be mindful of your language and include some information about breastfeeding through toddler-hood. Thanks!

Champaign County Ohio

Thanks for your comments! I am not familiar with the newsletter you mentioned, but I agree with your comments. Breast feeding is best whenever possible. If the author is listed on the newsletter, it would be good to contact them directly. I will let folks know of your comments if I can track down the right people. Thanks for sharing your concern.