Edible Mushrooms?

Asked August 21, 2016, 7:13 PM EDT

I picked these mushrooms earlier today in my backyard in the open grass, almost no shade. I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out what they are and am hoping you can help! (: I have pictures as well. One is a side by side of the same mushroom and the other is the caps of all three. They're about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and the caps are about 1/2 to 1 inch wide, all dark brown.I tried a spore print but it didn't work :/ sorry about that. Hope you can help, thank you!

Hamilton County Ohio

2 Responses

I strongly urge that you do not consider these edible; do NOT eat them! As you may be aware, the vast majority of wild mushrooms hold some degree of toxicity; from outright deadly to slow poisoning. I've sent your question to a colleague with more expertise with mushroom identification.

Unfortunately, it is somewhat difficult to properly identify a mushroom from images with any certainty. As Joe Boggs replied earlier, one should not eat a wild mushroom if one does not absolutely know its identity. As to a possible identification, it looks somewhat like the "fairy ring" mushroom (Marasmius oreades), but there are multiple look-a-likes that are found in similar locations. Many of these look-alikes will also grow in fairy rings and the fairy ring mushroom does not always grow in a ring. So, until you can get someone who can identify the mushroom with complete certainty, it is better not to consume it.