How to plant bare root perennials in the fall

I have a shady, hilly area that I have cleared of ivy and I would like to plant a variety of perennial plants this fall, including sedge, chrysogonum virginianum, sedum ternatum, stolonifera, ferns, and hostas. I was thinking of purchasing mail order plants, but they seem to be mostly available in "bare root" form. I don't have much experience planting bare root, as opposed to quart plants, and I could use some advice about exactly when in the Fall is the best time would be to plant the bare roots. Or is it better to wait until spring? Any other considerations I should think about would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Montgomery County Maryland perennials bare root plants

Bare root or packaged plants are obtained through mail order or at garden centers and are sold as dormant material. These are usually available for spring planting only.
You may not find the above plants in nurseries or garden centers now. If you do find the plants in containers, the planting season often extends well into the summer and early fall and can be planted now. Keep well watered up until the ground freezes. Otherwise plant in the spring.