Health care

Asked August 19, 2016, 11:37 PM EDT

I am 22 years old, recently married and in college. My father kicked me off his health plan. I do not want insurance because I do not really want it right now nor do I want any extra payments that I cannot afford. So my question is how can I get around the health care penalty, without getting coverage? We all know this law is unconstitutional and not what this country was founded on. All this does is put college kids like me in a tough spot when trying to go to school and pay for books and room and board when your parents kick you off because you no longer live with them and married. So with that being said, what are my options.


1 Response

Dear Anonymous-

Sounds like you have two issues, one of which is a concern about the government requiring health insurance and the other is what to do about managing the requirement.

Although you don't give your location in the state of Ohio, I would suggest that you allow some time to discuss your displeasure with your US senator. I'm sure they would make time for you.

Starting January 2014, you and your family must either have health insurance coverage throughout the year, qualify for an exemption from coverage, or make a payment when you file your 2014 federal income tax return in 2015. Many people already have qualifying health insurance coverage and do not need to do anything more than maintain that coverage in 2014.

Qualifying coverage includes coverage provided by your employer, health insurance you purchase in the Health Insurance Marketplace, most government-sponsored coverage, and coverage you purchase directly from an insurance company. However, qualifying coverage does not include coverage that may provide limited benefits, such as coverage only for vision care or dental care, workers’ compensation, or coverage that only covers a specific disease or condition.

You may be exempt from the requirement to maintain qualified coverage if you:

  • Have no affordable coverage options because the minimum amount you must pay for the annual premiums is more than eight percent of your household income,
  • Have a gap in coverage for less than three consecutive months, or
  • Qualify for an exemption for one of several other reasons, including having a hardship that prevents you from obtaining coverage, or belonging to a group explicitly exempt from the requirement.

Please see for more information.