Squash Vine Borer

For the first time in my few years of gardening I think I am having trouble with Squash Vine Borer. I haven't seen the insect, but the zucchini plant description fits my zucchini; it's like they're rotting at the root, the small zucchini I had on the plants has turned to mush. I'm leaving town for a week and decided it's too far gone (and I hadn't checked a probable cause till to day - I thought it was too much rain) and pulled the remaining plants out. I'm thinking it's too late to try and replant... Is there something I should do in preparation for next year's planting? Will the MN winter just kill the pesky bug? I have tomatoes remaining in that bed along with a couple of green pepper plants. My cucumbers are in a different bed. Should I also be concerned about my cucumbers? So far they're doing very well. Thank you so much.

Carver County Minnesota

There are a few things that cause decline in zucchini . Two that mimic each other are squash vine borer and bacterial wilt. Both will show total plant decline. Neither will stay in the soil over winter. I attached a link below that lists both, symptoms and treatments. http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/diagnose/plant/vegetable/summersquash/leaveswilting.html