Wind damaged honey crisp apple tree

I have a limb that has cracked off leaving exposed wood to the tree. #1) should I try cut of part of damaged limb and lift remaining limb part back into place? #2) or, should I simple cut of the part that has separated from larger tree, and what can I do to protect what remain with the tree?

Freeborn County Minnesota storm damage apple tree horticulture

From your photo it appears to much of the branch is split to anchor it back up. The best way to manage this is to saw this branch off. To help alleviate disease and damage use a sharp saw and disinfect with rubbing alcohol or a water/bleach solution. Make as clean a cut possible near the cuff (section right before branch attaches to the trunk). Any bark left hanging should be clipped close to the wound. Take care not to cause any further wounds to the tree while doing this.

Thank you. Do I rub the exposed wood with the solution? Should I leave the wound exposed? Or is there something I should be covering the wound with?

Thanks

You should leave the wound exposed. The tree will begin its own healing process.