Redroot Pigweed Eradication

I don't know how it got introduced to my small 12 acre home plot, but despite repeated spraying and/or covering with heavy plastic, I cannot get rid of, or even control the growth and spread of pigweed even if I get the plant before it goes to seed. HELP!!!

Spokane County Washington

Hello and thank you for your question.

Pigweed is a very difficult plant to control, and I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble. As much as I wish we had a recommendation that is guaranteed to get rid of it, I'm afraid there is no one magic answer. As far as eradicating the weed, it may not ever completely disappear. Sometimes managing a weed is the best we can do.

Normally weed control is a two-pronged approach where you do your best to control the weed, but you also build up the population of more desirable plants to give competition to the pigweed. You say you are working on a 12 acre area, but I'm not sure if you are using your acreage to grow a crop, or as pasture land for animals, or perhaps something different? In your question, you described the area as a home plot. Here is a link to homeowner information about controlling this weed: http://hortsense.cahnrs.wsu.edu/Search/MainMenuWithFactSheet.aspx?CategoryId=6&ProblemId=2034

We would like to help you get control of the situation if we can, but we might need to talk to you, to get a better idea of what is going on, so we can give you the best solution(s). Depending on what you are doing with your acreage, you might find the right answer on our Small Farms team website. If you click on this link, it will take you to a page with a choices about what you might be doing, such as pasture land, crop production, or forestry. If you click on the one that is the closest match to you, you will find information about weed control in different situations. http://smallfarms.wsu.edu/crops

Our Small Farms Coordinator is Pat Munts, and I've copied her contact information: Munts, Pat — Small Farms and Acreage Coordinator
WSU Spokane County Extension, 222 N. Havana, Spokane, WA 99202-4799
Phone: 509-477-2173

Our Master Gardeners can be contacted directly at mastergardener@spokanecounty.org or by calling 509-477-2181.

Another option would be checking out the website for the Spokane County Noxious Weed board which has a variety of weed control strategies that work in the area.

I hope this information helps and we can connect you to the right information to take care of the Redroot pigweed on your acreage. Thank you again for your question.